TSC news on P1 . Come next year 2024, a primary school teaching certificate will no longer be granted only on the basis of a PTE (Primary Teacher Education) certificate.
This information was obtained from a report released by Teachers Service Commission (TSC), the employer of teachers.
The Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) will be fully implemented in all primary schools from Grades 1 through 6, according to TSC, making primary school instructors with merely PTE credentials meaningless.
These PTE instructors progressed to the latest DPTE (Diploma in Primary Teacher Education) certifications.
Additionally all diploma teachers will serve as the lowest entrance level for the teaching profession job group C1 and not B5.
Numerous primary and early childhood educators signed up to upgrade their certifications to the CBC Diploma.
TSC news on P1
Both P1 and ECDE instructors should take the required training in order to meet the demands of the new curriculum, according to a taskforce’s recommendation.
After completing their studies, the initial groups of trainee instructors received a diploma certificate from Knec.
Registration Fees for KNEC Assessments Under the DPTE Upgrade Programme
|Assessment Fee Payment Breakdown||Amount (Kes)|
|Assessment Fee for all Subjects||12,000|
|Total Assessment Fees||15,700|
To advance to Diploma Primary Teacher Education (DPTE), P1 instructors must fulfill the following prerequisites.
1. The candidate must hold a current PTE Certificate.
2. The Teachers Service Commission must have registered the application.
3. The course will take 1500 hours to complete.
4. The program must be entirely residential.
5. The candidate must complete all of the courses listed in the upgrading program for the Diploma in Primary Teacher Education.
6. The trainees must complete a 300-hour teaching practicum.
7. The trainee must complete the stipulated evaluation by the Kenya National Examination Council as well as the necessary hours for course work in order to receive the diploma.
This means that all P1 teachers who wish to be employed by TSC permanently MUST undertake diploma upgrade.
All P1 and ECDE teachers are advised to do the Upgrading so that they can compete favourably with their counterpart in job market.