TSC portal. The Teachers Service Commission(TSC) regularly registers qualified people as teachers.
The commission also reviews education and training standards for those entering the teaching profession.
After registration, you receive a TSC number and a certificate. Section 23(2) of the TSC Act (2012) prohibits anyone from providing teaching services unless he is registered as a teacher.
Part III of the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015) provides the requirements and procedures for teacher registration.
TSC registers teachers with the following qualifications ;
- Early Childhood Development Education-ECDE
- Primary Teacher Education-PTE
- Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Education for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science.
TSC registration qualifications for ECDE teachers registration
Each of the categories of trained teachers possesses unique minimum registration requirements.
Minimum Requirements for Certificate ECDE Teachers
- Have a Minimum of CPE/KCPE together with an ECDE Certificate from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC). OR
- Have a KCSE mean grade of D+(minimum) and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC. OR
- Have a Minimum mean grade of D (plain) at KCSE, a KNEC proficiency certificate, plus an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum requirements Diploma ECDE teachers
- Have a KCSE Mean grade of C Plain and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Have a KCSE Mean grade of C+ (minimum) plus a University Diploma in ECDE.
Minimum requirements Degree ECDE teachers
- Have a KCSE Mean grade C+ (and above) and a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in ECDE.
TSC requirements for primary teachers’ registration
For them to be registered, primary school instructors must fulfill the following minimal requirements:
- Have a PTE (P1) Certificate from KNEC.
- Have Bachelors of Education (B.Ed.) degree (Primary education) (with 2 teaching subjects) from an accredited university.
Minimum TSC qualifications for the registration of secondary school teachers
- Have a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in 2 teaching subjects, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above) and the same grade in your two specialization subjects. OR
- Have a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree or a BSc. (Bachelor of Science) degree, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above), plus the same grade in your two specialization subjects and a PGDE.
- Have a Diploma in Education (minimum) plus a Minimum KCSE grade of C Plus or above and C+ or above in the two subjects’ specialization.
Current Requirement in Every Grade
- Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum mean grade D+(Plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum mean grade D (Plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC Diploma
- Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above for University Diploma
- Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above
Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above
PTE Certificate from KNEC
Mean grade of C- (minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons
Diploma in Education
- Minimum grade C+( Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects specialization.
- At least C (Plain) in English
- C (plain) in Mathematics for Science-based courses
- D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science-based courses
Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
- Minimum grade C (Plain) in KCSE and above.
- At least C Minus in English
- iii. C- (Minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
- D (Plain) in Mathematics in non-science-based courses
Bachelor of Education
- Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or it’s equivalent.
- C+ (Plus) in two subjects of specialization
Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science
- Minimum grade C+ (Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects of specialization.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
NEW REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY TSC
To be registered by TSC, one must submit the required documents.
TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Kenyan Citizens).
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
- a copy of your Identity Card or Passport
- passport photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
Payment of registration fee; Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC; Registration Account – National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001 or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Non-Kenyan Citizens)
For non-citizens, the following must be produced:
- Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
- Academic and Professional Certificates.
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
- A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
- vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and
- The prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
Scan and send original documents.
Related articles; TSC New salary scales for teachers per job grade 2021-2025 CBA